4 oz Bittersweet Chocolate
1 c All-Purpose Flour
1/2 c Whole-Wheat Flour
1/3 c Quick-Cooking Rolled Oats
1 ts Baking Soda
1/2 c Butter, at room temperature
1/2 c Granulated Sugar
2 ea Eggs; slightly beaten
2 tb Plain Yogurt
1 ts Vanilla
1/2 ts Grated Lemon Rind
2 c Zucchini; unpeeled; finely
1/2 c Walnuts; chopped (optional)
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
Omit the chocolate, if you like, but I love the flavor it adds. For a
slightly sweeter loaf add an extra 1/4 cup of sugar.
1. In a small pot, melt chocolate over low heat. Reserve.
2. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. In medium bowl combine flours, oats and soda. Reserve.
4. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and
5. Gradually add eggs, yougurt, vanilla and lemon rind, beating well
after each addition.
6. Stir in Zucchini.
7. Add flour mixture in two lots, beating until combined.
8. Beat in walnuts and chocolate.
9. Spread batter in greased 9X5-ich loaf pan.
10. Bake 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out
11. Cool on wire rack, then turn out of pan.
12. Store overnight for easier slicing or freeze until needed.
Makes 1 loaf.
From Article: Lucy’s Favorites by Lucy Waverman in column Food,
Toronto Sun, 28 June, 1995.