2 lb Potato; mashed
2 tb Vegetable oil
1 md Onion; chopped
6 oz Green lentils
1 Clove garlic; crushed
4 oz Grated vegetarian cheddar
2 Carrots; diced
1 tb Tomato puree
1 md Green pepper; diced
4 oz Mushrooms; sliced
1 ts Dried basil
1 pn Cayenne; (optional)
Salt and pepper
1. Cook the lentils in plenty of water until just soft, drain, but
save 1/2pint of the cooking liquid.
2. While the lentils are cooking saute the onion, garlic, basil and
cayenne in the oil until soft but not brown.
3. Add the carrot, pepper and mushrooms. Cover and cook over a low
heat for 10 minutes or until the carrot has softened.
4. Add the cooked lentils, tomato pur&ecute;e and seasoning. If the
mixture is very thick add a little of the reserved cooking liquid
from the lentils.
5. Cook for a further five minutes, transfer to an oven-proof dish,
cover with mashed potato and sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
6. Bake for 30 minutes in a moderate oven, until the top is golden
brown. Follow with Greek yogurt served with honey and chopped nuts.