1/4 c Pine nuts
1 tb Butter
1 Onion; finely diced
125 g Mushrooms; sliced
3 tb Butter
5 tb Flour
1/2 c Milk
2 tb Freshly grated parmesan
4 Eggs; lightly beaten
1 Pinches nutmeg
1 pk Filo pastry
3 tb Butter; melted
1. Cook chicken either in a large saucepan or a pressure cooker,
reserving 2 cups of stock. Remove meat from skin and bones and set
aside with stock.
2. Pre-heat oven to 180 deg.C.
3. Place pine nuts in pan and toasted over medium heat until lightly
coloured. Remove and add to chicken. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and
saute onion until transparent, then add mushrooms until softened. Add
4. Melt 3 tablespoons butter and blend in flour; cook for 1 minute.
Add stock and milk and cook until mixture thickens. Add chicken
mixture, nutmeg and eggs and mix well.
5. Grease a 33cm X 23cm oven-proof dish with butter. Line the dish
with 8-10 sheets filo pastry, brush each sheet with the melted
butter. Spoon in the chicken filling and level the surface. Cover
with another 8-10 buttered sheets of pastry. Tuck the top edges under
the bottom edges and very lightly score a diamond pattern on the top
with a sharp knife or razor blade.
6. Bake for about 45 minnutes or until the pastry is golden. Allow to
stand for 10 minutes before cutting.