6 sl Bacon
1 lb Ground beef
1 c Whole kernel corn, fresh OR
-frozen OR canned
1/4 c Chopped green chile
3 Green onions, chopped
1/4 c Cornmeal
1/4 ts Oregano
1 ts Ground pure hot red chile
1 ts Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 ts Ground comino
8 oz Tomato sauce
Cornmeal Piecrust (recipe
1/4 c Evaporated milk
1/2 ts Dry mustard
2 c Grated Monterey Jack cheese
4 Stuffed olives, sliced
1. Fry bacon until crisp; break into large pieces. Set side. Chill bacon
drippings until firm for use in the crust.
2. Brown ground beef in a large skillet; drain off fat. Stir in next 10
ingredients. Reserve egg, evaporated milk, etc. for the top crust.
3. Prepare the piecrust, and use it to line a 9-inch pie pan. Place meat
mixture in the pan. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine egg, evaporated milk, mustard and cheese. Spread on
top of the pie and decorate with the reserved bacon pieces and the sliced
olives. Bake for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese meltes. Let stand for
10 minutes, or until firm, before serving.
CORNMEAL PIECRUST (1 crust for 9-inch pie): 1 cup all purpose flour 2 Tbsp
cornmeal 1/3 cup firm bacon rippings OR other shortening 3 4 Tbsp cold
1. Combine flour and cornmeal, then cut in bacon drippings. When mixture
is granular, add the water, in small quantities to insure a flaky crust,
until pastry is mixed.
2. Roll out on a floured surface to a circle 1 1/2 times larger than the
inverted 9-inch pie pan. Fit pastry into pan and form a fluted edge all
Maximum recommended freezer storage: 2 months.
Makes 6 servings.