30 oz Whole-Milk Ricotta Cheese -cleaned
2 c All-Purpose Flour 1/8 ts Black Pepper — freshly
1 ts Kosher Salt Ground
12 tb Butter, Cut In 1/2-Inch 1/2 c Onion — peeled and diced
Pieces 1 1/2 ts Fresh Marjoram — minced
& Chill 1/4 lb Prosciutto — diced
5 tb Ice Water 3 lg Eggs
2 tb Olive Oil 1/8 ts Nutmeg — freshly grated
1 lb Spinach — stemmed and
1. Place the ricotta in a strainer lined with cheesecloth and allow to
drain over a bowl, covered and refrigerated, for 2 hours.
2. To prepare the tart dough, combine the flour and 1/2 tsp of the
salt in a bowl. Add the chilled butter and, using your fingertips or
two knives, blend until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Work in
the ice water until the dough holds together. Form the dough into a
smooth, flat disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1
3. Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll the dough into a
16-inch disk. Place the rolled-out dough into a 10 X 2 1/2 -inch-deep
cake pan or springform mold. Pressing with your fingertips, flute the
top edges of the dough. Place in the freezer and chill thoroughly,
about 30 mins.
4. In a medium skillet, heat 1 Tbs of the olive oil over high heat and
saute the spinach, stirring constantly until wilted, about 2 mins.
Season with 1/4 tsp salt and half the pepper. Place the cooked
spinach in colander and drain. Chop fine and reserve.
5. In the same skillet, add the remaining Tbs olive oil and cook the
onion 3 to 5 mins. over medium heat until translucent. Add the
marjoram and prosciutto. Stir and cook an additional 2 mins. Set
6. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
7. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and add the drained ricotta,
spinach, onion, and prosciutto. Season with the nutmeg and remaining
salt and pepper. Set aside.
8. Line the tart shell with aluminum foil and fill with dried beans or
pastry weights. Bake for 12 to 15 mins, until the dough is set.
Remove the foil and beans and cook an additional 10 mins, or until
the dough is light brown.
9. Lower the oven temperature to 375 F. Spread the ricotta and spinach
mixture evenly in the tart, place on the middle rack of the oven, and
bake for 1 hour and 10 mins, until the filling is set and the top
golden brown. Let rest for 15 to 20 mins, slice into wedges and serve.