1/2 c Water 1 cn (16-oz) sour cherries
3 tb Butter or margarine 3 tb Sugar
1/2 c Unsifted all-purpose flour 1 tb Cornstarch
1/8 ts Salt 1/2 ts Almond extract
2 lg Eggs Red food coloring (opt.)
1. Heat oven to 425’F, In 1-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to
boiling; remove from heat. Add flour and salt; beat with spoon until
mixture forms a ball.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well until smooth.
3. In the center of baking sheet, grease 9-inch circle. Spread half of
batter into an 8-inch round on the greased surface. With small spoon,
mound remaining -inch-wide rim on the batter to make 1 outer edge of
the 8-inch round.
4. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325’F and bake 10 to 15
minutes longer or until crisp and golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, drain liquid from sour cherries into measuring cup. Add
enough water or discard some of cherry liquid to make 2/3 cup.
6. In 1-quart saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir
in cherry liquid. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Stir in
cherries; return to boiling. Stir in almond extract. If desired, stir
in food coloring. Remove from heat.
7. When crust is crisp, remove from baking sheet and cool on wire
rack 15 minutes. Transfer to serving plate. Spoon cherry filling into
center of cnist and cool completely.
Country Cooking/Summer/94 Scanned & fixed by Di and Gary