Pastry (recipe follows) 1 c Sliced almonds
1/2 c Heavy cream Whipped cream for garnish
1/3 c Sugar -(opt.)
1 ts Grated orange rind Raspberry preserves (opt.)
1/4 ts Almond extract
1. At least 2 flours before preparing tart, make Pastry (recipe
2. When pastry has chilled, heat oven to 375’F. Between floured
sheets of waxed paper, roll out pastry to an 11-inch round. Fit into
a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Trim pastry even with
edge of pan. With tines of fork, pierce bottom and sides of pastry.
3. Place tart pan on rimmed baking sheet. Line pastry shell with
aluminum foil and fill with pie weights. Bake 8 minutes; remove pan
from oven and lift out foil and weights. Return pastry to oven and
bake 4 minutes longer. Set aside on wire rack to cool.
4. Meanwhile, in bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, stir
together cream, sugar, rind, and extract until sugar has dissolved,
Fold in almonds.
5. Spoon almond mixture evenly into pastry shell. Return to oven and
bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until filling is golden. Cool to room
temperature on wire rack.
6. When tart is cool, if desired, spoon whipped cream around outer
edge; stir preserves and drizzle over cream. Cut into 12 wedges and
Pastry: In medium-size bowl, combine 1 C unsifted all-purpose flour,
1/2 t salt, and 1/2 t sugar. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in
6 T unsalted butter and 2 T vegetable shortening until mixture
resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add 2 1/2 to 3 T ice water to
flour mixture, mixing lightly with fork until pastry is moist enough
to form a ball. With hands, roll into a ball and flatten to 1-inch
thickness. Wrap and refrigerate at least 2 flours before using.
Country Cooking/Summer/94 Scanned & fixed by Di and Gary