———————TO MAKE THE COFFEE ICE CREAM———————
7 fl Soya milk
5 tb Sunflower oil; (supermarket
; not cold pressed)
4 oz Ripe bananas
2 oz Soft brown sugar
2 ts Instant coffee powder
2 ts Boiling water
-FOR THE PASTRY CASE-
4 oz Wholemeal plain pastry flour
1 ts Baking powder
1 pn Salt
2 oz All vegetable margarine
2 oz Cold water
FOR THE TOFFEE FILLING
15 oz Concentrated soya milk; (one
6 oz Soft light brown raw sugar
———————TO ASSEMBLE BANANA TOFFEE PI———————
1 lg Ripe banana; thinly sliced.
A little grated dairy-free
; flaked almonds
1. Place half the soya milk and all the sunflower oil in an ice-cube
tray. Freeze until solid.
2. Cut the bananas into small pieces, place on a plate and freeze
3. Place a mixing bowl in freezer (to hold the ice cream later).
4. One hour before serving, dissolve the coffee powder in the boiling
water and put it in the blender with the sugar, unfrozen soya milk,
frozen soya milk, frozen oil and frozen bananas. Blend until thick
5. Put ice-cream into the cold mixing bowl and replace in freezer.
Beat occasionally. The ice-cream needs to be soft but hold its shape.
If it starts to get too hard, put it in the fridge for a while.
For the pastry case:
1. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
2. Rub in fat. If the fat is very hard it can be grated. If soft, use
a fork to mix it in.
3. Stir in the water. If you leave the pastry in the fridge for half
an hour at this stage, it makes it easier to roll out.
4. Roll out pastry and use it line a greased, floured, 7in diameter
flan tin, or four 3in individual tins. Prick the base evenly all over
with a fork.
5. Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven 200C/400F/Gas 6.
For the toffee filling:
1. Place sugar and soya milk in a saucepan.
2. Heat through and simmer gently with the lid off, stirring
occasionally, for 45 minutes. Remove from heat. (It may appear to
curdle at first, but this effect will disappear).
To assemble Banana Toffee pie:
Fill pre-cooked pastry case with toffee filling. Spread flat. Cover
with slices of banana. Just before serving, spoon or pipe soft coffee
ice cream on top of pie. Sprinkle with grated chocolate or flaked