30 fl Milk
1 Vanilla Pod
8 Egg Yolks
100 g Caster Sugar
225 g Toffee
125 ml Double Cream
250 g Frozen Puff Pastry;
4 lg Bananas; (peeled and sliced
1. Put the milk and vanilla pod in a saucepan and warm gently. In a
large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar until thick and
creamy. Whisk the warm milk into the egg mixture, return to the heat,
stir continuously without boiling, until the mixture coats the back
of the spoon. Strain the custard and cool.
2. Place the toffee in a bag and using a rolling pin, bash into small
pieces. Transfer 6 tablespoons of the custard to a small dish and put
to one side. Pour the remaining custard into a freezerproof container
and partly freeze for 5 hours. Whisk the double cream until soft,
then fold into the custard with the toffee pieces. Return to the
freezer overnight, stirring occasionally.
3. When the ice cream is frozen, roll out the pastry to 5mm thick and
cut 8 small circles, approximately 10 cm in diameter, generously
prick the surface of each disc, then place on a lightly greased
baking sheet. Leave in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7 / 425f / 220c.
4. Divide the reserved custard between the 8 pastry circles and then
arrange the banana slices in a circle, leaving a tiny gap around the
edge. Brush each tart with a little butter and dredge with icing
sugar. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes, or until
5. Puff pastry needs a quick hot temperature.
6. To serve, place the tarts on serving plates and arrange scoops of
ice cream by the side. Dust with icing sugar