-MEATLESS TAMALE PIE
1/3 cup chopped onion 2 cloves minced garlic 1 cup finely chopped
green peppers 1 Tablespoon oil 2 Tablespoon tomato paste 1 teaspoon
chili powder 1/2 cup water 3 cups cooked, mashed kidney or pinto
beans 1/4 cup sliced w/wo pimiento green olives 3 Tablespoos minced
fresh parsley 1 recipe (see next recipe) Tamale Pie Crust 1/2 cup
grated cheddar cheese
1. Saute the onions, garlic and green pepper in the oil in a large,
nonstick skillet until the vegetables are softened.
2. Stir in the tomato paste and chili powder, then add the water,
beans, olives, parsley and pepper. Simmer the mixture, stirring it,
until it is heated through.
3. Grease an 8-inch baking dish and spred the bean mixture in it
4. Prepare 1 recipe of the Tamale Pie Crust (recipe follows).
5. Spread the batter over the bean mixture, top with the cheese,
and bake the pie, uncovered at 400 F for 20 minutes, or until the
dough rises and is golden brown.
TAMALE PIE CRUST
1 cup yellow stone ground cornmeal 1 Tablespoon flour 1/4 teaspoon
salt 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 lightly beaten egg 1/2 cup skim
or low fat milk 2 Tablespoos oil 2 Tablespoon chopped green chilies
1. In a medium bowl, combine the corn meal, flour, salt and baking
powder. Add the egg, milk, oil and green chilies, and stir the
mixture just to combine the ingredients. Top the Meatless Tamale Pie
with the crust, and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.