1 pk Active Dry Yeast 4 tb Butter — melted
1/4 c Warm Water 1 1/2 ts Salt
1 c Seven-Grain Cereal 3 tb Brown Sugar
1 c Boiling Water 5 c Unbleached Flour
1 c Milk
Note: Seven-grain cereal is available a many health food stores.
1. In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and let
stand. The mixture will become frothy.
2. Place the cereal in a bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Let
stand until cool.
3. Meanwhile, heat the milk to 110 F. Stir in the butter, salt and
sugar. Pour the mixture over the cereal.
4. Stir to milk mixture into the cooled cereal and then stir both the
cereal mixture and the flour into the yeast. Knead well, at least 15
mins. (The longer the knead time the finer the texture of the
finished loaves.) Turn out into a greased bowl, rotate dough so all
sides are coated and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Let rise until
doubled, (in a warm place) about 1 1/2 hours.
5. Punch down and knead for 5 mins. Cut into portions, shape into
loaves and put into greased loaf pans. (Yield will be 2 large loaves
or 4 small loaves.) Let dough rise in pans again, covered with oiled
plastic wrap, until dough has risen above the pan and is rounded,
about 30 to 45 mins.
* Preheat oven to 400 F.
6. Bake std. loves for about 1 hr, smaller loaves for 40 mins, or
until browned on top and hollow sounding when thumped.
From the section on the KALAMAZOO COUNTY FAIR of Kalamazoo, Mich. Fair
dates: late August, 7 days, Sunday through Saturday.