1 1/2 c All-Purpose Flour 1/3 c Vegetable Shortening
3/4 ts Salt 2 lg Eggs
1/2 ts Baking Soda 3/4 c Peach Jam
1/2 ts Ground Cinnamon 1/2 ts Vanilla Extract
1/2 ts Grated Nutmeg 1/2 c Buttermilk
3/4 c Sugar
*Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. Grease and flour two 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 2-inch loaf pans and set
2. In large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, soda,
cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
3. In large bowl of standing electric mixer beat the sugar and
shortening on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs,
one at a time, beating one min. after each addition. Add jam and
vanilla; mix well.
4. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the creamed
mixture, beating well after each addition.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans. Smooth tops with spatula.
Bake in center of oven for 40 to 50 mins or until a toothpick
inserted in center comes out clean. Place the pans on a rack for 10
mins. Remove the bread from pans and let cool on rack.
From the section on the LONG ISLAND FAIR of Old Bethpage, N.Y. Fair
dates: 8 days in mid-October.